Provided by Andrea Stevens, ARNP
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a simple, non-surgical treatment that can temporarily smooth moderate to severe frown lines and crow’s feet (wrinkles around the eyes). BOTOX® is an FDA-approved prescription medication that is injected into muscles. Because it is made up of purified proteins produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacterium, it is able to reduce the activity of the muscles that cause facial lines to form over time.
If you want fuller, more youthful lips without going under the knife, then you may want to consider a dermal filler like Juvederm. This FDA-approved dermal filler is a revolutionary solution to help you get your youthful beauty back. Juvederm is one of the best options to create new volume in the lips, correct visible signs of aging around the mouth, and even contour your lips into a more desirable shape.
- Schedule your Derma Filler and Botox appointment at least 4 weeks prior to a special event, such as a wedding or a vacation to allow for complete healing.
- Results from the Dermal Filler and Botox injections will take approximately 4 to 7 days to appear. Also bruising and swelling may be apparent in that time period.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- If you have a history of cold sores please let your provider know, they may put you on an anti-viral medication prior to treatment.
- Avoid blood thinners prior to and after surgery. Patients that bruise easily or take blood thinners may take longer to heal. Please be patient.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- If you would like to minimize the risk of bruising after treatment, consider ordering or buying Arnica ointment
- Do not manipulate the treated area for 3 hours following treatment.
- Do not receive facial/laser treatment or microdermabrasion after Botox injections for at least 10 days.
- Ask your provider if you are not sure about the time frame of certain services.
- Do not perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment.
Post-Treatment Instructions Dermal Filler
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area. Unless instructed by the provider.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling for 24 hours.
- Please apply cool compresses or ice packs for 20 minutes each hour, the first few hours after treatment (while awake). This will help minimize swelling.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort, this will also minimize swelling.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica to help the bruising and swelling. Arnica, is not necessary for healing. This option is elective.
- If you experience severe pain, redness at injection site, loss of vision or any other visual symptoms, call immediately or go to the ER.